Sustainability at Step of Grace
HOW DO WE CHOOSE OUR MATERIALS?
There is no “‘magic material” that has zero ecological impact. Therefore, you as the consumer have to make an informed choice by weighing the pros and cons, and making compromises. We are here to help you streamline that process, by striving to always look for materials with the least ecological impact while also making sure that it looks and feels great.
Right now we do this by choosing natural fabrics (like linen, GOTS Certified Cotton, and Bamboo Fibres) or semi-natural fabric (like responsibly harvested rayon and tencel) that have low eco-impact, all the while taking into consideration the criteria needed to build beautiful pieces that will last. Hopefully this results in high quality products you can trust and at a reasonable price; because we want our products to be accessible.
We also take extra caution not to fall into the pitfalls of generalizing a material. Linen is a sustainable material, but not all linens are created equal. We strive to use 100% pure linen and natural linen blends in our pieces--never polyester linen which is cheaper and while also considered as “linen”, they are not sustainable. The same goes for other kinds of natural fabrics.
We are also committed to avoid using any harmful synthetic dyes in all of our fabrics and will only utilize natural dyes or low impact dyes as per OEKO-TEX standard.
As of August 2019, all our buttons are made from repurposed sea shells. They are fully biodegradable and contain no plastics.
HOW DO WE ENSURE SUSTAINABILITY IN OUR PROCESSES?
We define sustainability in our processes through a 3-pronged approach:
- We do not keep keep a big inventory to avoid waste. We only produce what we need.
- We focus on quality workmanship and construction to ensure our items last a long time.
- We will never work with sweatshops or child labors and will never resort to unethical production practices.
HOW DO WE PACKAGE SUSTAINABLY?
We avoid the use of single use plastics and other non-biodegradable materials in our packaging and accompanying materials as best we can.
- We use fully biodegradable and home-compostable waterproof wrappings made from cassava for our clothing.
- We use natural handmade papers made out of banana tree fiber for our tags and cards.
- We ship in compostable cardboard boxes and seal them using water-activated paper tapes.
- We forgo the use of boxes for our footwear and resort to reusable calico dust bags.
- We use sustainable, renewable and compostable 0% tree Bagasse paper made from sugarcane waste to print all our business cards and marketing materials
HOW DO WE TANGIBLY HELP THE ENVIRONMENT?
A young tree absorbs CO2 at the rate of 13 pounds per year. Mature trees are estimated to absorb 48 pounds of CO2 per year. By the time a tree reaches 40 years old, it would have sequestered approximately 1 ton of carbon dioxide.
- At Step of Grace, we plant a tree for each of our product sold.
- This ensures that we offset our carbon footprint and make a long-term investment towards the future of our earth. A total win-win situation.
- We plant our trees in reforestation areas around the world, currently we are focusing on projects on the ground in Borneo as well as the Amazon rainforest.